Jeremiah 49:23 – Hamath is an interesting city that nobody has heard of. It’s mentioned 39 times in the Old Testament and is the 4th largest city in modern Syria. It was a city state that sent gifts to David (2 Samuel 8:9). Sennacherib had conquered them as he went towards Jerusalem (2 Kings 18:34). By Jeremiah’s time it was considered part of the Syrian lands.
Jeremiah 49:28 – Nebuchadnezzar was used by God. But Solomon knew that already (Proverbs 21:1). All we have is under the Providence of God. I was just at Plimouth Plantation and a guide pointed out that the Pilgrims saw the Providence of God in every action of life. God has a plan for His people.
Jeremiah 50:2 – Psalm 75:7 exemplifies this and the previous chapter. God exalts and brings down nations.
Jeremiah 50:19 – God is not done with Israel! He will return Israel to the land!
Jeremiah 50:34 – This is my Redeemer too!
Titus 1:2 – This isn’t modern “hope I win the lottery” but sure confidence because God cannot lie!
Titus 1:12 – Paul is quoting a pagan prophet. Paul was a Pharisee, skilled in the Jewish law, but also in pagan customs. He read greatly (2 Timothy 4:13).
Titus 1:13 – Rebuke them sharply! Paul is encouraging Titus in spite of the challenges in Crete.
- “things that are wanting” (Titus 1:5),
- “selfwilled…angry…given to wine… striker…given to filthy lucre” (Titus 1:7)
- “gainsayers” (Titus 1:9)
- “unruly and vain talkers and deceivers” (Titus 1:10)
- “teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre’s sake.” (Titus 1:11)
- “alway liars, evil beasts, slow bellies” (Titus 1:12)
- “Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth” (Titus 1:14)
- “their mind and conscience is defiled” (Titus 1:15)
- “abominable and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate” (Titus 1:16).
Psalm 97:9 – This is a key verse in understanding the nature of God in regards to his transcendence – “existence or experience beyond the normal or physical level.”
Psalm 98:3 – In Joshua 2:10-11, the Jerichoites heard about how God parted the Red Sea. We have a responsibility today to take His message to the ends of the earth (Matthew 28:19-20).
Proverbs 26:14 – Not just fools, but sloths. Those who prefer their bed will not be used to their fulness by the LORD.
Share how reading thru the Bible has been a blessing to you! E-mail us at email@example.com or call and leave a message at 414-885-5370.